Sometimes I’m on top of things.
Sometimes we have our halloween costumes planned out by September, with everything ordered and prepped and ready to go for a breezy October 31st.
sometimes most of the time it’s a headless chicken race to try and get everything coordinated in time. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to get your halloween act together at the last minute.
To kick start, let’s talk about Amazon. NOTE – we are not the “gory blood and guts” type halloween people. In our family we like to observe halloween in a way that makes us feel good (demons do not make us feel good), so we keep things clean, cute and classy. (Also, I don’t do spiders. Because ew.) If you’re looking for all out haunted halloween ideas, this post may not be for you. But if you’re interested in some family friendly fun, read on!
Amazon is one of the best ever one stop online shops, especially if you have Amazon Prime (you’ll see a clickable link at the top of the blog post). Because with Amazon Prime you’re eligible for unlimited free 2 day shipping. So you may want to sign up for that if you haven’t already (psst, it comes with a free trial)!
Now if you’re drawing a blank literally the day before halloween, don’t freak out. It’s ok, I got you. You’ll be fine. *shhh*
I’ve rounded up a bunch of last minute halloween ideas and separated them into categories (geek alert). Let’s dive right in so you can get on with your awesome halloween 2017!
Whether they change their mind at the last minute, or they finally decide at the last minute, or we as parents just unintentionally leave it to the last minute, there are plenty of amazing easy and fast costume ideas for kids.
- This adorable crazy cat lady costume is from craftymorning.com
- Need something especially easy and cheap, gender neutral and cute? Learn exactly how to make a raincloud costume at makeit-loveit.com.
- This Clark Kent baby costume is from Costume Works, but seriously you may already have all these pieces on hand. And if you don’t they’re all easy enough to find at your nearest walmart, not to mention your little man will wear them all again at some point anyway. Double duty! By the way, this idea literally works for any age.
- Brett from brettbara.com put together this easy and ridiculously adorable old lady baby costume!
- Visit thesitsgirls.com to learn how to make this fun and simple (and inexpensive) Jelly Belly Costume.
- If you’ve got 2L pop bottles and some goggles handy, head over to delineateyourdwelling.com to learn how to make fun scuba diving costumes. Also, the same idea applies to a jetpack costume, just add some “flames” to the bottom!
Hubby and I adore taking the kids trick-or-treating, but to be honest our costumes tend to be an afterthought. (After the kids!) Luckily I found some cool costume ideas we can whip up for cheap.
- Here’s how to quickly make a cute starbucks costume!
- Use what you have on hand to put together a scarecrow costume.
- This Where’s Waldo costume uses cute pieces that you may already own and might even re wear.
- If you have a LBD, you can be Audrey Hepburn. Similarly, you can turn a LWD into Marilyn Monroe.
As a family, we looove to coordinate our costumes.
- This one took a little planning, because we had to actually order the shirts (from ebay). But it’s too cute not to add it in here.
- These Inside Out family costumes are also from Costume Works, but I bet a quick trip to the thrift store would get you everything you need to pull this off.
- thinkingcloset.com has a tutorial on how to create this Vanilla Ice costume set.
- You can never go wrong with stick figures. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a link for this one, but it looks pretty self explanatory. 🙂
- This site has free printables to put together a salt and pepper duo, as well as…
- an M&M trio!
Luckily, you can easily buy treats just about anywhere at halloween time. Sometimes though, nothing hits the spot quite like a homemade snack. Plus they’re fun to make, and you don’t need to set aside a lot of time for these recipes…
- My kids are almost teenagers and they still get a kick out of pumpkin oranges.
- Caramel apples are just the thing for fall, but they’re a little unrealistic, especially for littler kids. Try these easy inside out caramel apples!
- I haven’t yet tried making these mummy hot dogs, but I’m going to!
- I’ve never seen an easier (or cuter) way to decorate a halloween cake. Who needs fondant?
Activities and Crafts
There’s so much more to halloween than spooky movies. Whether you’ve got a halloween party to host or you just like to be festive with your kids, these (non pumpkin carving) crafts and activities are quick and easy and fun!
Nothing says “Welcome to our house, come get some candy!” like a well decorated facade. But it definitely doesn’t have to be elaborate or expensive. Check out these decor ideas!
- Even the kids can make this simple candy corn banner.
- Cute and easy glowing eyes.
- The website linked to this cat wreath does not have pictures or a how to, but it looks super simple and fun to make.
- Ghost glow jug, perfect for lighting up a dark and spooky night.
- I seriously can’t get over these adorable yard monsters!
There you have it. 30+ quick, cheap and easy halloween ideas. Have a safe and happy halloween everyone!